Thursday, December 8, 2011

Texture and Story


I love this gnarly old tree.
What a history it must have.
It reminds me of a really, really old and wise woman.
You don't want to mess with her
but you might learn a lot from her.

On my walks I am drawn to texture
and to contrasts in texture
from the rough and gnarly, nobby, bare tree above
to this:


soft and floaty grass fronds
as delicate as lace.

I appreciate intriguing texture in story
 the accumulation of details and tone
of pacing and pattern
and I appreciate contrasts in texture
that guide me from the gnarly to the soft
skillfully.

I love when I begin reading a book
and sense immediately
that I am in the hands
of a skillful writer.

Have you had that feeling recently?
What book or what writer?




11 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I feel the same way. I feel another book coming on....your incredible photographs and your free verse ruminations (apologies for the wording, it is for lack of a better description...it is more than pondering...it is thoughtful reflection!). I'll reserve a copy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have felt that way while reading. The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt is beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny,
    felt in great hands with, Love That Dog
    Most recently felt that way with The Gift of Nothing and These Hands, both picture books.
    Tone and detail in small packages are big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about texture having an impact. I'm sure you are aware of the books I am currently reading, and they do just what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This fall I read Markus Zusak's "The Book Thief," and from the get-to I was feeling in awe of the way he told the story. To be able to describe a part of history that was unspeakably in a beautiful way... What a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things Fall Apart was a different sort of read from what you're describing here, but equally engrossing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this. You write beautifully.

    thanks for your visit.

    I'll be back to read more.

    I am always looking for different textures while out on my nature walks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't pass a new Irving novel without taking a peak. And that Hesse chick? Always want to take a 'spin' with her. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. The comparisons are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just started the first few pages of "My Name is Mina" and I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having that feeling with The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball.

    ReplyDelete