Monday, December 12, 2011

How'd you get that Twitter Name?

Time for an Explanation

"Why do you use ciaobellacreech as your Twitter screen name?"


It sounds a bit vain, doesn't it? (Translation = 'Hello, beautiful Creech.' But wait! I have an explanation.  

When I signed up for Twitter and was asked to provide a screen name, I chose, simply, my own name, Sharon Creech, but was promptly informed that that was already taken. What? Really?  (Turns out there are several Sharon and Sherri Creeches around.)

I had just returned from a year in southern Switzerland, where the language is Italian, and every day when I walked through the local village, people would call out (to me and to other girls and women), "Ciao, bella!"  

Ciao, bella!  Ciao, bella!  Ciao, bella!  Such a cheery refrain bouncing off the mountainsides.

And so, when Twitter told me I couldn't use my own name, the first thing that popped into my head was 'Ciao, bella!'

Ciaobellacreech.

I've since learned that Ciao Bella is also a lingerie chain . . . and somewhere I saw it as the name of an ice cream shop.

So.  There you go.

Ciao, bella!


10 comments:

  1. Parlo un po' d'italiano.. Ci venga a trovare qualche volta!

    Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori: Grazie - e si, andremo a visitare un giorno . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story about your catchy name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! It's perfect! I've always loved its lyrical nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs.Creech,
    Where did you get your inspiration for Chasing Redbird? Sorry, I know it must be an annoying question :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psychol: The answer to that is on my website www.sharoncreech.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen pictures of you......Ciao Bella it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elenka - well, thank you, but also to you: ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And "Bella, ciao" is also the name of the most famous italian revolutionary song!:o)

    ReplyDelete