Thursday, June 11, 2009




The Blue Kayak

Thursday, 11 June, 2009

Twenty years ago, my husband gave me this blue sit-on-top kayak for a birthday present.  The kayak has been well-loved and well-used.  Normally it is tied up at the dock, not sitting on dry land like this. My husband has a matching white one. We are not white-water kayakers, nor twenty-mile-a-day kayakers.  About an hour's paddling in fairly calm water is just right for us. You can get up close to shore and see the ducks' hideouts, the catfish spawning, the long, narrow Muskies gliding through the weeds.

4 comments:

  1. I just got a Kayak for my birthday with simple exploring in mind. The idea of floating silently around our lakes and rivers, here in the Northwest, hoping to find signs of wildlife is just wonderful.
    The most difficult part is trying to lift it on top the car to get started. I'm practicing my hopeless woman face in hopes that fishermen will feel sorry for me and assist. I don't like the idea of having to resort to such tactics, but getting it loaded is like wrestling a grizzly bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura:
    I sympathize. I wouldn't kayak so frequently if I had to lug it around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brattcat:

    No, the trusty blue kayak has not tipped once in 20 years, and I've been in rough lake waves a few times.

    ReplyDelete